Sunday, March 16, 2014

Not in My Backyard!

I've been very preoccupied.  I live on the Main Street of my town.   I bought my house knowing that the funeral home as well as a Sole Practitioner Law Firm were across the street from me.  The house I lived in when we first got married had a small real estate firm in the front room.   I get it--we allow mixed use.  However, I did not intend on the zoning allowing a Commercial Operation--we're talking Sonic, Doctors Care, Walgreens.  Really?!?!?  My home is not under attack- the other end of Main Street is under attack.  I grew up in the Low Country--I can't even begin to imagine a 10,000 sf office building across from the Great Santini House!  This is a new territory for me-I just always assumed the Historic Preservation came in and saved the day.

The property under attack was home to the Community Center and Junior High.  Both Buildings burned to the ground.  Nothing has been rebuilt in their place and nothing should!  The proposal is for a 10,000 sf medical facility-complete with a Pharmacy, Laboratory, XRays, Community Room, etc.  All surrounded by homes less than 3000 sf.  We can only hope that our leaders do the right thing.

I hijacked this photo--Sharon Corey Freeman took it for the National Historic Preservation Flickr site.



I can't get the Pin but this quote sings to me:

"There may have been a time when preservation was about saving an old building here and there, but those days are gone. Preservation is in the business of saving communities and the values they embody."

- Richard Moe, President National Trust for Historic Preservation






No comments:

Post a Comment